The training is over. The Taper is Tapered. Nothing left to do but pack and drive.
I think it’s safe to say that I am completely prepared for this monster of a 24 Hour race, the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo. Yeah, it’s a race for some – it’s just 24 hour bike ride for others… like me. I’ve put in the miles since January. 596.55 GPS miles, to be exact. I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.
I’ve suffered on the SS. I’ve suffered on the fixie. I am one with suffering. There will be no excuses and there will not be failure. Unless of course failure becomes cool and helps me pull in the babes. JUST JOKING! Back of the Pack Racing DOES NOT support FAILURE!
Here’s what to expect from the crew:
- The Judd: Mucho miles are in the books. All the sheep are ready to role. And the 3AM DEMONS are PAID OFF for this race! So it should be a wicked race, I mean ride. AND the luck with be on The Judd’s side, for once.
- The Morale Chairman: The TeddNeck’s coming off the couch. Will he throw down 150 miles? That’s his goal. 150 miles off the couch. The Morale Chairman is insane. Not that he can’t train, it’s just that he wants to make the 150 miles a little bit harder than it already is. Well, we all have goals.
- Prob-eee: The dude went partying in Seattle in late January. He still hasn’t recovered and hasn’t logged many miles. No big deal. It’s the demons that he must battle. Anyone and their cousin could break 110 miles with ZERO training. So, will Prob-eee survive or will he fold?
- Rhino: The New Kid on The Block. Rhino is set, so we think. This is Rhino’s 1st attempt at a solo 24 hour race. He’s a veteran of team 24 hour events. BUT the 3AM demons are a bit different for the solo rider. He’ll be fine. His name AIN’T Prob-eee.
- As defined in the B.P.R. Operating Instructions, this dude should be classified as a Probationary Member of Back of the Pack Racing. BUT we would never put a dude in the same category as Prob-eee. So we will rework the membership guidelines.
- AND Rhino is taking charge of the B.P.R. camp. Rhino is a local. (Maybe, it doesn’t matter.) Rhino lives in The Grand Canyon State, therefore Rhino has the ability to set up the ultimate camp. Don’t worry dude, we’ll repay the favor at 24 Hours in the Enchanted Forest.
- The Lt Col: Sad sad day for Back of the Pack Racing. The B.P.R. Elder Stateman informed me that he will not make the trip. Oh well, sometimes family stuff is more important. So I hear. Sucks to be The Lt Col. He is already ONE DOWN in this quest for The Back of the Pack Championship.
The Overall 2011 Experience:
- No Port-A-Nestor. Damn. No breakfast burrito eating competition. Damn. I guess we will wait and watch to see what ludacracy Prob-eee comes up with. These senior citizens are unpredictable.
- Rhino. Rhino is Rhino now. But Rhino may not be Rhino after the race. Just like Prob-eee wasn’t Prob-eee until The Founding Fathers said Prob-eee is Prob-eee. Anyway. We will see what happens.
- This is the 3rd calendar year of B.P.R.’s 24 hour influence from the Back of the Pack. Will we dominate from the Back of the Pack? Doubt it. That wouldn’t be any fun.
- And if you are curious about B.P.R. Ludacracy, check out the story from last year:
And Just in CASE:
Because LUCK is so important, I did everything possible to ensure that luck is on my side. That’s right, I pulled out all the stops. I’m big time superstitious, ever since I was a 4 year old kid and realized that a clean bedroom and making the bed daily provides unlimited luck. So, I’m taking it one step further.
Yeah. Call me superstitious. Others call is ‘filling the Karma Bank.’ (I don’t believe in Karma. I believe in ghosts, aliens and the gods that rule the single speed lifestyle.)
Anyway, here’s what I did to buy a little bit of luck:
- Mopped the floors
- Cleaned the bathrooms, showers & sinks & toilets. (Pure Torture!)
- Washed the sheets
- Cleaned some windows
- Cleaned the garage
You can’t ride 24 hours without a successful battle plan and a boatload of luck. So, do you think luck will be on my side? I sure hope so. If this strategy works – I may volunteer to clean your house prior to the 2012 edition of The 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo.
That’s that. Maybe The B.P.R. Morale Chairman or Prob-eee will post updates during the 24 hours of pain. I definitely won’t – I’ll be riding – for all 24 hours. Dude! Dudette!