This is the list that everyone is waiting for. What beer fuels the Back of the Pack Racing Machine? What beer do we, the Back of the Pack racers, travel countless miles, travel through wind / rain / snow, travel at morning / noon / night to purchase and consume? What beer should you bring over to Judd’s house when invited to a Cheetos BBQ?
Well, It’s taken one year to build this list. Countless evenings (or afternoons) were spent taste testing. Yeah, we all have better things to do, but as a semi-official unofficial team we must do these small things to define our mission, our purpose, our future.
A Few Things to Understand:
- This is a list that supports beer drinking in the Rocky Mountain states. If it was a national or international list, there would be a few changes. BUT this list drives the Back of the Pack Lifestyle. A beer from Michigan (Bell’s Oberon) can’t influence Back of the Pack behavior and / or Back of the Pack race results. Get it.
- The list is HEAVILY weighted by IPAs. Because Dude, that’s the way it is. It’s the B.P.R. Top 10 Beer List, not ‘Your Top 10 Beer List’.
Anyway, The Founding Fathers all agree on this ranking. I’m sure of that.
The Back of the Pack Racing Top 10 Beer List
- Ska Brewing : Modus Hoperandi
- Marble Brewery : IPA
- New Belgium Brewery : Ranger IPA
- La Cumbre Brewing : Elevated IPA
- Oskar Blues Brewery : Dale’s Pale Ale
- Steamworks Brewing Co : Third Eye Pale Ale
- Odell Brewing Co : 5 Barrel Pale Ale
- Boulder Beer: Hazed & Infused
- Ska Brewing : Steel Toe Stout
- ? Maybe Top 9 is enough. I’ll schedule a conference call.
When Times Are Tough and We’re Late For Dinner
- The Lt Col’s Cooler : Tecate
- The Judd’s Cooler : Schlitz
- The Morale Chairman’s Cooler: Bud Light with Lime
- Prob-eee’s Cooler: White Zinfandel
- Rhino’s Cooler: The High Life
A Few Comments:
- Two of The Founding Fathers are Durango boys. So, Ska Brewing is #1 NO MATTER WHAT. Steamworks is guaranteed a spot on the list. But Steamworks beer is not easily acquired in north central New Mexico. I could find Third Eye Pale Ale a year or two ago, but not in 2010. (Maybe I don’t look very hard. Why should I when Modus Hoperandi is ALWAYS staring me in the face?)
- La Cumbre Brewing could easily jump to #2. Once the canning process is moving and six packs make their way to the B.P.R. beer fridges – then it will easily move to #2.
- The Judd plans to generate and distribute a B.P.R. Marketing Strategy. A beer sponsorship is the Numero Uno goal for 2011. All we ask for is patches, banners and some beer. We aren’t big beer drinkers, we are finely tuned endurance athletes, so just a keg or two per race is all that we ask for. BUT we will take patches and banners and PAY for the beer, if required. We just won’t tell the B.P.R. fans that we are actually paying for the beer sponsorship.
- The Judd will hold a beer tasting / beer ranking party, if there is enough interest. We need 10+ flavors. I will organize it, we will drink it, we will rank them. Pick a date. Just remember. #1 is Modus Hoperandi. That’s just the way it is.