2012 is here. That means one thing and one thing only. Time to start preparing for:
The 2012 Back of the Pack Championship – A Series
We all know who the odds on favorite is. But you never know what will happen in 2012.
AND, in the past, I’ve been accused of rigging the results. Seems like certain dudes that race at the back of the pack can’t do simple Judd Math. They can’t figure out how the points are totaled. So here it is.
The Official Formula for The 2012 Back of the Pack Championship Series:
- 10 points are awarded for each lap completed at the 12 hour and 24 hour races
- 1 point awarded for each mile completed at an endurance race
- 1 point awarded for each mile completed during a bike packing experience
* We all know that life is full of obligations and responsibilities, at least that’s what I’ve been told, so unofficial races can be (will be) added as alternate races if a certain responsible racer can’t make a race in the BPR Championship series BUT is able to make local race.
- Example: Mad Rhino can’t syphon enough fuel to make 12 Hours in the Wild West. So Mad Rhino attends the Mad Rhino Invitational in the Land of the Sun.
* We all know that The Lt Col isn’t into bike packing – no need to worry. The bike packing points are equalizers – the bike packing points bring The Morale Chairman and Mad Rhino into the competition. (Even without the bike packing points The Lt Col doesn’t have a chance of battling it out for the championship, just because…. that is what history says, even though I write the history.)
The 2012 Race Schedule:
- 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo, Feb 18/19
- Dawn til Dusk, April 14
- 12 Hours in the Wild West, May 19
- 24 Hours in the Canyon, June 2/3
- 24 Hours in the Enchanted Forest, June 16/17
- 24 Hours in the Sage, Aug 18/19
- 24 Hour Townie World Championships
- go to a garage sale and get your ride!
- Tommyknocker 24, Sept 1/2
- 25 Hours of Frog Hollow, Nov 3/4
- maybe, late year burnout may keep us away
The 2012 Ride Schedule:
- San Ysidro Dirty Century, March 24
- Durango Dirty Century, July 7
- may not race
- may ride the route via a BPR bike packing strategy
- because it’d be crazy to pass up a night up in the San Juan Mtns
- The Colorado Trail, July 25 – Aug 4
- not the race, THE ADVENTURE
- 24 Hours of Colorado Springs, Sept 29/30
- can I motivate ‘the team’ into a 4 person Fat Bike relay?
- full on disco pit?
- Zuni 100 – Ok Zuni 50, Oct 20
This schedule can and will change as we move through 2012. And new competitors can be added to The 2012 BPR Championship series at anytime – all that is required is written pledge to uphold the Back of the Pack Operating Instructions.
And a Final View From the back of the Back of the Pack:
hanging at the back – Le Petite Brevet, somewhere in New Zealand
hanging at 12,000, somewhere on the Colorado Trail – Segment 27